Department R- PHOTOGRAPHY Department R: Rules 2012
Co-Chairperson: Lisa Dudley & Larry Kalbfeld
Committee: Charles Collins, Mary Collins, Andrew Dudley, Lynda Williams, Hal Scott
Mail Entries to: Guilford Fair, P.O. Box 290, Guilford, CT 06437
ALL OF THE FOLLOWING RULES MUST BE FOLLOWED, WITH NO EXCEPTIONS
Entry forms and PHOTOS must be received by 5pm Saturday, September 15, and are to remain in place until closing, Sunday, September 23. The photos will be available for pick-up after 7:00 P.M on Sunday, September 23.
Definitions and Display Instructions:
Amateur Photographer - is one who does photography (taking and/or producing photos) for his or her own pleasure and /or display without prior thought of compensation.
Professional Photographer - is one who solicits, hires or has hired out his or her photographic services to others; advertises such services; or offers such services to, or with another for publication, for a fee. The mere sale of such work shall not, in itself, alter the amateur status unless, and until, such sale(s) become a substantial portion of the photographers income.
Photo or photograph - refers to an image taken with either a film or digital camera, not altered or enhanced other than color adjustment or cropping.
Enlargements - Print sizes from 5”x7” and no larger than 11”x14”. Must be matted or mounted. Mounts may be any size up to 16”x20” maximum, and no thicker than 1/8”.
Snapshots - at least 2”x2”, 3-1/2”x5”, 4”x6”, and panoramic up to 4”x10”and mounted on cardboard or photo mats. Mounts may be no thicker than 1/8” and no larger than 5”X7” or 6”X10” of panoramic. Both color and black and white snapshots are acceptable.
1. Each Photo/print MUST be listed individually on entry form by title, division and class designation. The exhibitor name and address as well as the title, division and classification must be clearly marked on the back of each mounted photo.
2. Juniors and Budding Photographers must also list age on back of prints and on the form.
3. Open to Amateur photographers only. All photos/work must have been taken by person entering same. Photos previously winning prizes at The Guilford Fair are not eligible for re-entry.
4. Any Photo(s) to be returned by mail must include an envelope with name and address, and return postage must be enclosed.
5. Each Photo MUST be individually matted or mounted sturdy card stock, no thicker than 1/8” total. NO Thick Foam Matte Boards or Framed Prints will be accepted. NO EXCEPTIONS
6. LIMIT 2 prints in each class (each division consists of 8 classifications), and no more than 10 photos/prints in total.
7. In all cases where the photo does not meet the requirements as specified, it will be ineligible.
DIVISIONS 1, 2, 3 & 4 — ENLARGEMENTS
Division 1 – Adult Color Enlargements (ages 16 and up)
Division 2 – Adult Black & White Enlargements (ages 16 and up)
Division 3 – Junior Color or Black & White Enlargements (ages 15 and under)
Division 4 – Altered or Manipulated Photography - open to any film or digital photograph whose composition has been altered or manipulated either by conventional, mechanical or digital methods.
DIVISIONS 5 & 6— snapshots- adultandjunior
Division 5 – Adult Snapshots, Color and Black & White (ages 16 and up)
Division 6 – Junior Snapshots, Color and Black & White (ages 15 and under)
DIVISIONS 7 — buddingphotographer
Open to photographers up to and including age 10. Photos may be any size up to 11”x14”, both color and black and white. Judging for this division will be on the Danish System, all exhibits are judged on their own merit and not in competition with other entries. All entries will receive ribbons.
CLASSIFICATIONS: Each Division shall consist of 8 classifications: (2 prints per class)
A. Wildlife E. Architecture
B. Scenic (Water and Landscape) F. Fair Scenes
C. Flowers and Plants G. Pets
D. People H. Miscellaneous
Please follow Display Instructions and Rules
AWARDS FOR EACH CLASSICATION
Division1, 2, 3 & 4 – Enlargements & Digital Compositions
First – $10.00 Second – $6.00 Third – $4.00 Fourth – Honorable Mention
Additionally, Best in Show in Divisions 1, 2, 3 & 4 – Rosette and $15.00
Division 5 & 6 – Snapshots
First – Blue Ribbon Second – Red Ribbon Third – Yellow Ribbon
ARCHIE YOUNG MEMORIAL TROPHY — CHAIRMAN’S CHOICE
Open to all Amateur Photgraphers, limit 2 entries per photographer. Photos must be enlargements, matted or mounted and of.the photographer (no copies of od photos). Entries are to be listed in the designated space on Photo Department Entry Form.
Theme for 2012: The family farm has deep roots along the Connecticut shoreline. This year we are celebrating farm kids. Show us a picture of kids on a farm, growing or planting a garden or even what farming meant to you when you were a kid.